Saturday, January 31, 2009

Fall Happenings III: I heart New York

Stepping off the bus into Jendar's neighborhood on a Friday night the first thing I noticed was the conglomeration of people outside. The second thing I noticed was the hip hop music. With that fitting introduction, Jendar said, "Welcome to Harlem." I dropped off my bags. We ate good sushi and good chocolate before meeting D.C.'s Kristina at her arrival.

Despite our lack of sleep, we all woke up early the next morning and took a train to get tickets to Legally Blonde: The Musical.
While I didn't initially share the same enthusiasm as my friends, I'm glad they convinced me, for the production turned out to be incredibly funny and entertaining.
Afterwards we had tea and treats at this charming shop for the curious and curiouser.
That night we danced our hearts out 80's style at Club Pyramid.
Sunday afternoon I loved New York, and Jendar, and the picnic we had on this blanket, on this grass at a park near her home. The weather was the epitomy of fall perfection.
Sunday night found us at NYU's library. We sadly both had homework.
Monday morning I met up with Hediyeh on the steps of the Met.
We intended to go inside, but talking was better. Just being together was better. It had been so long, and was so easy because she knows the people and the context. She also gave me the kindest, most meaningful compliment. After explaining a recent choice I made, she said simply, "I think Kierkegaard would agree with you."

Eventually we walked to a nearby restaurant for lunch before I boarded a bus that would bring me back to Boston.

1 comment:

Adriana Romanini said...

Nice, Rachel! Lots of study, I suppose, but you seem to be having fun too. That's great. I'm going back to Brazil - save money if you want to visit me some day and go to the beach or something. :)